Finding quotes and historical data for Bitcoin, Bitcoin futures, Bitcoin options can be an adventure. Below I’ve assembled links to the online resources that I’ve been able to find.
In many cases, data is available from multiple sources. I did not attempt to list all of them.
BitCoin Futures based ETFs
- Proshares BITO Will primarliy hold the front month futures
- Valkyrie BTF
- CME Real Time Index (BRTI)
- Yahoo Finance (BTC-USD)
- Does not identify which exchange (s) it is using
- Shows market cap, supply, volume statistics
- Gemini Exchange
- Coinbase (on right, shows bid / ask)
BTC volume and “Market Cap” information
BTC Historical Prices
- Yahoo Finance (BTC-USD)
- Daily data (including open-high-close and volume) since 1-Jan-2010
- Gemini Auction
- Blockchain (daily for 2 years)
- How do Bitcoin Futures Work?
- CME Symbol: BTC
- Spot: Bitcoin Real Time Index (BRTI) methodology
- CME Futures
- Open Interest
- Reference exchanges: Bitstamp, GDAX, itBit, Kraken (combined into a composite quote via BRTI & BRR)
- Contract Size: 5 Bitcoins, cash settled (Contract Specifications)
- Trading Hours: Trading started 18-Dec-2017
CME Globex: Sunday – Friday 6:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET (5:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT) with a 60-minute break each day beginning at 5:00 p.m. ET (4:00 p.m. CT) CME ClearPort: Sunday – Friday 6:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET(5:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT) with a 60-minute break each day beginning at 5:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. CT
- Future settlement quote: BRR (once per day) methodology) ) Historical Data
BTC Mutual Funds
- GBTC Greyscale Bitcoin Investment Trust (A closed-end mutual fund) Available for trading in regular brokerage accounts and IRAs
BTC Options & Swaps
- Proshares BITO
- LedgerX offers Bitcoin settled options
- Their options are “physically” settled with Bitcoin
- To participate if appears you must be an institution or a high net worth ($10 million+) individual
- See this page for a currently listed options and swaps
Click here to leave a comment
9 thoughts on “Free Bitcoin/Bitcoin ETF/Bitcoin Futures/GBTC Quotes, Charts, & Historical Data”
Hi Vance – Thanks for all the information. Any thoughts on when options on these futures (or on bitcoins themselves) would be available?
Hi rttrader, I think the CME / Cboe will be in a hurry to list options on their futures, Since the futures volumes look reasonable I’d expect options on futures to list in the March / June time frame. There is one company LedgerX that is offering options on “physical” bitcoins. It only offers services to institutions and high net worth individuals. I’ve added links to their stuff on the post.
Hi Vance, I wonder what is the contango ranking for all trading products. VIX should be number one, natural gas is #2, oil is #3, but then I don’t know what could be the other few in the list. I also don’t really know why natural gas would have high contango. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Hubby, I don’t track the commodities much but I know that gas and oil are notorious for being in contango. Contango is often associated with high storage costs. I think natural gas is very tough to cost effectively store–counter parties are going to ask a lot to do that.
thx for sharing!
I have used
to monitor the change of Bitcoin, where I can set up the background color, average lines, and other stocks, such as GBTC.
By the way, one need to click the following chart to see my original chart in PNG format.
Thanks Peter. I’ve added them to the post.
Thanks! Also, this is a very nice chart provider: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg120ztgOza1gSMAzm1g5zm2g25zl
Thanks! Added to post.